Monday, August 27, 2012

How did I do it?

I was asked recently how did I get through the past fifteen years.  Yes, it is the subject of my manuscript but the answer can be summerized into a few simple steps.

My mom calls it "crisis mode."  Just like waging a war, a person under attack can shift into crisis mode.  This is the same tactic you see in parents when their child is injured.  Unfortunately, crisis mode is an all too familiar  area for my family.

When I was first diagnosed with cancer and Adam with autism; my husband and I quickly reevaluated or to-do lists.  Our lists went from fix this or that to call him or her.  Information gathering was our priority.  The more we knew, the better we could decide our next course of action.

Crisis mode also means that you have to dampen feelings.  Anxiety, fear or even happiness all become secondary to purpose.  Purpose being doing what you have to do to survive even if it is scary or ugly.  Like a starving person eats old food in order to live, a person takes the chemo or listens to her son's screams in order to treat the illness.

Of course, prayer is a constant.  Crisis mode is necessary but not without prayer.  It is only by God's grace that we do live. 

No comments: