Thursday, May 15, 2008

Home Again Home Again Jiggity Jig

Of course it is 1am and I am blogging. Since I can't speak, I can write.

About the speaking. I am finally home from a week in the hospital. Breathless, bruised and exhaused but grateful to be home. As many of you already know, the surgery was successful. The tumor was removed from my right pulmonary vein, upper right lobe and left atrium. (For those not in the medical know, I have know idea why the right lung would hook up to the left atrium. Nor do I care at this point anymore.) They did not have remove a portion of my heart or rebuild it with a cow heart. I did not know about the cow heart before and am grateful. Moo.

The surgery was far more successful than anyone realized. I was flambayed like a shrimp -- that was how it was described for me afterwards. Ick. I am do have some nice scars to add to the parachuting/shark bite/motorcycle accident story I use on my other surgery scars. The worse part was after the surgery.

My blood levels dropped, my oxygen dropped, my sugar bounced high and low, salt levels sky rocketed and I painfully tried to walk, pee, sit, eat and just breath on very little pain meds. After only one week, I am home. Thank you God!

Except that now I have to deal with breathing in normal time without kind nurses giving encouraging words or doctors giving pep talks. I am coming home to reality.

But hey, at least I am here!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Hooray! I am glad your surgery was successful. Hopefully you will be up and about and on a fun vacation before you know it!

Just found your blog--I am a mom of a young ASD child and I am a former travel agent, so I think your website idea is really great!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting back home. Good luck with the recovery. I am thinking of you

Anonymous said...

Congrats on getting back home. Good luck with the recovery. I am thinking of you