Friday, December 26, 2008

A Shift in Thinking

For the past several months, if not year, I have struggled with depression. Not surprising considering all that my body has gone through. I want to change that -- starting today.

I wrote awhile ago that the universe was yelling and screaming at me. Well, the universe was at it again and this time I listened. I picked up one of those women's magazines that line the grocery checkout. There seemed to be an interesting article on weight loss. Something that I have been attempting for some time.

The article talked about a book entitled "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. I looked through her website and was initially attracted and repulsed at the same time. Her basic premise is that in order to attract anything into your life you must send out something. If you are negative, then you only attract negative. I understand that part but the part that bothered me was the section on creating wealth. If you want wealth, then you must love money.

That seemed to strike at my very soul. How could I love money if I am a Christian woman putting God first in my life.

I was then standing in Borders for last minute Christmas gifts and impulsively purchased the book, The Secret. I read it standing in line and am still reading it many days later. I must say that it has changed my life. It is not unchristian as it directly quotes the bible -- "Ask and you shall receive." She often talks about the Universe but that also means God.

I will write more later as I seek to understand all of it. For now, I am enjoying the peace and gratitude the book has brought.

No comments: