Thursday, September 24, 2009

Is it just keeping busy?

In the last few months, I have been working hard on the house. I refinished the deck. I wanted to completely redo it but I was limited by own strength and fatigue. I work for a few minutes and rest for hours. Taking that into account, I challenged myself to projects that were easy for me to complete as well as cheap. I wanted to spend little money with a focus on reusing items. Especially items that I had here at home.

The deck turned out wonderful. I rented a sander and a great time sanding the deck. A real Tim Allen moment. I wanted to grunt and drink a beer at the same time. I then purchased church pews for minimal money (the church was putting in new ones) and anchored them to the deck. I coated them with poly and drilled holes for drainage. But the best part was the table I made.

Using the kneelers and missilette holders, I made a table. A custom, unique patio set. I will brag, it looked very cool.

Now I am working on the bathroom. I fixed the leaky shower, replaced a faucet and am laying a floor. Of course, I am using easy peel and stick tile. And of course, it is taking forever to my children's' chagrin. They really want to use the bathroom.

But the bottom line is, I'm doing it. I am moving forward, feeling optimistic and getting stronger every day. With very little thoughts on cancer. Yippee!

I am also writing up our adventures on my website www.autismtravel.org. I love the therapeutic feeling of blogging.

No comments: